The Foundation's means derive from the estate of Stanley Thomas Johnson and his wife Mrs. Mary June Johnson.

Prtrait Mr. JohnsonStanley Thomas Johnson was born in 1910 in Godalming, Surrey, in the south of England. In the year 1936, the young technician decided to specialize in riveting technology, particularly in the motor and aircraft industries. Stanley Thomas Johnson developed the «blind rivet» which enabled metal plates to be riveted, that is, fastened together. At the outbreak of the war in 1939, he built his main production plant in Welwyn Garden City, outside London. Under the name AVDEL, other plants were opened in the USA, Germany, Mexico and South Africa. A global network ensured for sales, also providing an advisory service.

In 1954, Stanley Thomas Johnson became domiciled in Switzerland, and lived in the town of Geneva. From here, he travelled all over the world. Sadly, he did not live to see the completion of some of his factories. In 1967, he died, aged 57, as a result of an illness lasting six years. His wife, Mary June Johnson, lost her life in an accident just two years later.

Prtrait Mr. JohnsonBoth were always very interested in the Arts, in science, and especially in the well-being of their fellow men and women. Stanley Thomas Johnson was concerned not only with the advancement of his employees in the riveting techniques, but also with human relations at their place of work. Again and again he spoke of his wish to give practical support to valuable and creative efforts in the arts, science, medicine, and in human relations. This wish was fulfilled by the setting up of the Foundation.

On the 21st May 1969, the Stanley Thomas Johnson Foundation, with charitable aims, was set up under Swiss Law. The Foundation's Charter is registered in the Canton of Berne. It operates under the relevant supervisory authority in Switzerland's Federal Department of Home Affairs. The foundation is a member of SwissFoundations, the association of Swiss grant-making foundations.